Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Job Classification Specification
BINDERY OPERATOR II
Pay Grade B82
|Under moderate supervision, operates cutting, folding, and strapping machines in support of Print Shop operations.
|Differs from Photocopying Machine Operator in that Bindery Operator II operates complex cutting, folding, and strapping equipment, while photocopying machine operator operates photocopy machines and simple bindery equipment.
Supervised by: Printing Services Supervisor
In order to achieve Metro’s goals in support of its mission, potential candidates are
required to commit and continuously practice and demonstrate the following work values:
Examples of Duties
- Safety – To ensure that our employees, passengers
and the general public’s safety is always our first consideration.
- Service Excellence – To provide safe, clean, reliable,
on-time, courteous service for our clients and customers.
- Workforce Development – To make Metro a learning organization
that attracts, develops, motivates and retains a world-class workforce.
- Accountability for Performance and Fiscal Responsibility – To manage every taxpayer and customer-generated dollar as if it were coming from our own pocket and ensure the highest possible return on investment.
- Innovation and Technology – To actively participate in identifying
best practices for continuous improvement.
- Sustainability – To reduce, reuse and recycle all internal resources
and reduce green-house gas emissions.
- Integrity – To rely on the professional ethics and honesty of every
- Teamwork – To actively blend our individual talents to achieve world-class
performance and service.
- Civil Rights – To actively promote compliance with all civil rights statutes,
regulations and policies.
- Community – To actively engage with the Community as it relates to Metro interest/services.
- Sets up, adjusts, and operates programmable cutting machine to cut paper and printed materials to proper specifications
Sets up, adjusts, and operates folding machines to fold printed materials to prescribed specifications, including types and number of folds, paper sizes, and thickness
Operates automatic collating and strapping machines to sort and bundle paper and printed materials
Operates auxiliary bindery equipment
Operates power skid mover, fork lift, hand-jack, and wheel cart to move large quantities of bundled materials
Performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs on equipment
Loads, unloads, stocks, and ships printed materials and completes related forms
Receives and wraps finished materials from large presses and places bundles into boxes for shipment
Contributes to ensuring that the EEO policies and programs of Metro are carried out
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- Functions and operation of programmable cutting, strapping, and folding machines and other bindery equipment
Safety rules for print shops
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions and procedures
Communicate effectively with others
Operate programmable cutting, folding, and strapping machines
Operate a fork-lift, power skid mover, hand-jack, and wheel cart
Adhere to production standards and deadlines
Move objects weighing up to 75 pounds
Perform moderately physical labor
Tolerate noisy working conditions
Stand for extended periods of time
Plan and complete work according to established priorities
Interact professionally with various levels of Metro employees and outside representatives
Read, write, speak, and understand English
Potential candidates interested in the BINDERY OPERATOR II position MUST meet
the following requirements:
- 2 years of experience operating a variety of bindery equipment, including programmable cutting, folding, and strapping machines
- Must comply with all California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Cal/OSHA) regulations and utilize approved safety equipment and personal protective gear including, but not limited to, respirators, eye and hearing protective devices (HPD), if and when required
This job specification is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.
Date Originally Created: 4/24/1995
Date Last Revised: 5/6/2014 9:32:03 AM