Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Job Classification Specification
Pay Grade B03
|Under supervision, performs clerical accounting work in support of the accounts receivable function.
|Differs from Accounts Payable Clerk in that Accounts Clerk performs accounts receivable and other clerical accounting work, while Accounts Payable Clerk performs accounts payable clerical accounting work. Differs from Supervising Accounts Clerk in that Accounts Clerk performs clerical accounting work, while Supervising Accounts Clerk performs clerical accounting work and exercises lead Metro over accounts Clerks. A Leader receives additional pay for each hour worked as stipulated by the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
Supervised by: Accounting Supervisor; Sr Accountant; Supervising Control Clerk
In order to achieve Metro’s goals in support of its mission, potential candidates are
required to commit and continuously practice and demonstrate the following work values:
Examples of Duties
- Safety – To ensure that our employees, passengers
and the general public’s safety is always our first consideration.
- Service Excellence – To provide safe, clean, reliable,
on-time, courteous service for our clients and customers.
- Workforce Development – To make Metro a learning organization
that attracts, develops, motivates and retains a world-class workforce.
- Accountability for Performance and Fiscal Responsibility – To manage every taxpayer and customer-generated dollar as if it were coming from our own pocket and ensure the highest possible return on investment.
- Innovation and Technology – To actively participate in identifying
best practices for continuous improvement.
- Sustainability – To reduce, reuse and recycle all internal resources
and reduce green-house gas emissions.
- Integrity – To rely on the professional ethics and honesty of every
- Teamwork – To actively blend our individual talents to achieve world-class
performance and service.
- Civil Rights – To actively promote compliance with all civil rights statutes,
regulations and policies.
- Community – To actively engage with the Community as it relates to Metro interest/services.
- Prepares invoices for billing purposes
Prepares statements of accounts for outstanding invoices
Prepares aging of receivable reports
Prepares documentation and support material for accounts held in abeyance for legal action or in question by debtors
Types, proofreads, and distributes invoices
Enters, updates, and recalls billing information from computerized system
Calculates total payments received
Posts journal entries to General Ledger
Assembles and distributes monthly financial reports
Contributes to ensuring that the EEO policies and programs of Metro are carried out
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- Clerical accounting practices
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions and procedures
Communicate effectively with others
Perform clerical accounting work
Post and verify numerical data
Balance journal entries
Perform simple arithmetical computation and tabulates figures with speed and accuracy
Proofread work and identify and correct errors
Operate office equipment, including calculators, computers, typewriters, and copying machines
Type at a corrected speed of 30 words per minute
Interact professionally with other Metro employees and outside representatives
Move objects weighing up to 15 pounds
Read, write, speak, and understand English
Potential candidates interested in the ACCOUNTS CLERK position MUST meet
the following requirements:
- 6 months of experience performing accounts payable and other clerical accounting work
This job specification is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.
Date Originally Created: 4/24/1995
Date Last Revised: 5/11/2005