Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Job Classification Specification
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK
Pay Grade B04
|Under supervision, performs a variety of clerical accounting work in support of the accounts payable function; performs other related work.
|Differs from Accounts Clerk in that Accounts Payable Clerk performs accounts payable clerical accounting work while Accounts Clerk performs accounts receivable and other clerical accounting work.
Supervised by: Accounting Supervisor
In order to achieve Metro’s goals in support of its mission, potential candidates are
required to commit and continuously practice and demonstrate the following work values:
Examples of Duties
- Safety – To ensure that our employees, passengers
and the general public’s safety is always our first consideration.
- Service Excellence – To provide safe, clean, reliable,
on-time, courteous service for our clients and customers.
- Workforce Development – To make Metro a learning organization
that attracts, develops, motivates and retains a world-class workforce.
- Accountability for Performance and Fiscal Responsibility – To manage every taxpayer and customer-generated dollar as if it were coming from our own pocket and ensure the highest possible return on investment.
- Innovation and Technology – To actively participate in identifying
best practices for continuous improvement.
- Sustainability – To reduce, reuse and recycle all internal resources
and reduce green-house gas emissions.
- Integrity – To rely on the professional ethics and honesty of every
- Teamwork – To actively blend our individual talents to achieve world-class
performance and service.
- Civil Rights – To actively promote compliance with all civil rights statutes,
regulations and policies.
- Community – To actively engage with the Community as it relates to Metro interest/services.
- Prepares vendors invoices for payment
Checks invoices for accuracy and completeness of information provided
Verifies extensions, taxes, and discounts indicated on invoices
Types, proofreads, and distributes invoices
Verifies quantities, amounts, and prices indicated on invoices for authorization with the Purchase Order System
Enters vendor invoice information, including identification numbers, quantities, amounts, and dates into the Accounts Payable System
Identifies errors in purchasing or receiving information for correction on purchase orders
Researches payment records to verify outstanding invoices
Prepares invoices for transmittal and/or filing
Contributes to ensuring that the EEO policies and programs of Metro are carried out
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- Accounts payable clerical practices
- Follow oral and written instructions
Communicate effectively with others
Perform clerical accounting work
Post and verify numerical data
Balance journal entries
Perform simple arithmetical computation and tabulates figures with speed and accuracy
Proofread work, identify and correct errors
Operate office equipment, including calculators, computers, typewriters, and copy machines
Type at a corrected speed of 30 words per minute
Interact professionally with other Metro employees and outside representatives
Move objects weighing up to 15 pounds
Read, write, speak, and understand English
Potential candidates interested in the ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK position MUST meet
the following requirements:
- 6 months of experience performing accounts payable and other clerical accounting work
This job specification is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.
Date Originally Created: 4/24/1995
Date Last Revised: 3/5/2009