Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Job Classification Specification
AIR CONDITIONING TECHNICIAN LEADER
Pay Grade A17
|Under moderate supervision, installs, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs climate control equipment at all Metro facilities
|Air Conditioning Technician is an Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) journey-level position. It differs from the Air Conditioning Technician Leader (ATU) in that an Air Conditioning Technician installs, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs climate control equipment at all Metro facilities while an Air Conditioning Technician Leader oversees and coordinates the daily activities of a group of Air Conditioning Technicians and assigns tasks within a work crew. The Air Conditioning Technician Leader communicates and implements safety rules, policies, and procedures and maintains accountability for the safety of assigned employees. A Leader receives additional pay for each hour worked as stipulated by the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
Supervised by: Facilities Maintenance Supervisor
In order to achieve Metro’s goals in support of its mission, potential candidates are
required to commit and continuously practice and demonstrate the following work values:
Examples of Duties
- Safety – To ensure that our employees, passengers
and the general public’s safety is always our first consideration.
- Service Excellence – To provide safe, clean, reliable,
on-time, courteous service for our clients and customers.
- Workforce Development – To make Metro a learning organization
that attracts, develops, motivates and retains a world-class workforce.
- Accountability for Performance and Fiscal Responsibility – To manage every taxpayer and customer-generated dollar as if it were coming from our own pocket and ensure the highest possible return on investment.
- Innovation and Technology – To actively participate in identifying
best practices for continuous improvement.
- Sustainability – To reduce, reuse and recycle all internal resources
and reduce green-house gas emissions.
- Integrity – To rely on the professional ethics and honesty of every
- Teamwork – To actively blend our individual talents to achieve world-class
performance and service.
- Civil Rights – To actively promote compliance with all civil rights statutes,
regulations and policies.
- Community – To actively engage with the Community as it relates to Metro interest/services.
- Installs and performs preventive and remedial maintenance and repairs to climate control systems including, but not limited to, air conditioning, heating, ventilating, and refrigerating equipment
Uses test equipment including, but not limited to, amprobes, ampmeters, voltmeters, and thermometers
Determines and facilitates appropriate air circulation inside Metro facilities
Purchases supplies, parts, and equipment required to repair and maintain climate control systems, and fabricates parts needed to repair older equipment
Maintains appropriate levels of cooling agents, including freon, ammonia and bromate
Drives a non-revenue vehicle and transports parts and test equipment to various Metro facilities
Leads employees by assigning work and providing training
Contributes to ensuring that the EEO policies and programs of Metro are carried out
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- Methods, materials, equipment and safety procedures of the climate control trade
Structural air circulation and ventilation
Principles of heating, air conditioning, electricity, and basic electronics as they relate to the climate control field
Air circulation and ventilation inside buildings
Vehicle operations and safety
- Install, troubleshoot, and repair air conditioners, exhaust blowers, fans, space heaters, furnaces, refrigerators, freezers, and other climate control equipment
Weld, solder, and braze components of climate control systems
Follow written and oral instructions
Work with minimal supervision
Lift and move objects weighing up to 75 pounds
Travel to offsite locations within a reasonable time frame
Read, write, speak, and understand English
Potential candidates interested in the AIR CONDITIONING TECHNICIAN LEADER position MUST meet
the following requirements:
- 4 years of experience performing installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of climate control systems
Completion of 2 years' course work in heating/air conditioning at a recognized trade school preferred
Valid California Class C driver's license
- Must possess required standard tools of the specified trade
Must comply with all California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Cal/OSHA) regulations and utilize approved safety equipment and personal protective gear including, but not limited to, respirators, eye and hearing protective devices (HPD), if and when required
This job specification is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.
Date Originally Created: 4/8/1995
Date Last Revised: 2/5/2009